Our O-Tip of the week series we will be providing valuable “OT-Approved Life Hacks” to provide you with simple and helpful solutions for living.
For the month of February, our O-Tip series will help you to practice safe and efficient snow removal this winter.
Clearing snow is a necessity to ensure safety for yourself, visitors and passersby. Shoveling can be strenuous work, therefore it’s important to use the proper tools and techniques to reduce the risk of injury.
Whenever possible, push the snow rather than lifting. When lifting is needed, follow these tips:
- Do not try to lift large amounts at one time
- Hold the shovel close to your body
- Ensure you keep a slight bend in your knees
- Lift with your legs while maintaining the natural curve in your back.
- Always move your feet to ensure your body will face the direction to where you are dumping the snow.
- Avoid twisting your back
- Avoid dumping snow over your shoulders